Tutors are on the front lines of MLP. They help deliver the literacy services adults in Macomb County have come to depend on. Tutors are trained through a program over several hours. Once they are trained, they are matched with a student. MLP makes every effort to accommodate the wishes of students and tutors when pairing them. For instance, we match people who live in the same area to minimize travel time.
Tutors often become more than literacy advocates – they become friends and sometimes a lifeline to a new place and culture. If you are considering tutoring, please review some of our frequently asked questions below.
Who can become a volunteer tutor?
- Tutors must be at least 18 years of age
- Tutors must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Tutors must relate with sensitivity and compassion
- Tutors must maintain confidentiality, demonstrate patience & perseverance
How will I know what to do?
- Tutors are required to complete a twelve hour tutor training program
- Our training programs will teach you the fundamentals of teaching reading
Where can I get materials?
- Macomb Literacy Partners supplies books and materials for you and your student
- We work with local libraries to make sure you get materials as well
- Macomb Literacy Partners also trains you to use everyday materials (newspapers, magazines, menus, job-related materials)
Where and how often do I tutor?
- Tutors and new readers meet at a mutually convenient time and location in a private area of a public site (library, church, school)
- Tutors are required to meet with a student for at least 2 hours each week for at least 1 year
Who will I tutor?
- Some of our students speak English and have graduated high school
- Other students do not know English and may have recently moved to the United States
Why should I be a tutor?
- To help someone in our community become a better reader
- To give someone learning English a lifeline to our community
- To help someone read to a child or grandchild for the first time
- To learn more about Macomb County and the people who live here
- To enhance your resume, especially for education and human service fields
Contact us to become a tutor!