MLP helps people who are reading at basic levels. We work with adults 18 or older. People who have difficulty accomplishing day-to-day tasks because of difficulty reading may find our programs helpful. Day-to-day tasks include reading traffic signs or prescription instructions or reading at work.
We help people become better readers, assigning them to an appropriate class for their reading level. Students are expected to attend class for 4 hours per week and do 2 hours of self-led study or conversation group. Our programs are free to Macomb County residents. We do require a $100 registration fee. A portion or all of this fee will be returned to the student depending upon their attendance. For example, a student with perfect attendance will be refunded the full $100.
If students have more specific goals, such as getting a job or keeping employment, they may want to ask about our partnerships with work-related programs. We work closely with Michigan Works!, local school districts, and Macomb Community College.
- New students must call for an appointment | 586-286-2750
- Then come to our office to take a placement test.
- Tests determine each student’s reading level.
- If students cannot speak English, we ask that they bring a translator.
- Please bring photo id to your testing appointment and be familiar with your yearly household income.